Immigration Ministries Helps Launch Episcopal Prayer Square Initiative
As part of ongoing efforts to walk alongside our migrant neighbors, the Diocese of West Texas’ Immigration Ministries is launching the Episcopal Prayer Square Initiative, in collaboration with the Episcopal Dioceses of the Rio Grande, Arizona, and San Diego. Numerous congregants and churches located further away from in-person volunteer opportunities on the border or at Welcome Centers, have reached out to diocesan offices and Immigration Ministries with increasing frequency, requesting meaningful ways to support people seeking asylum as they travel through our communities. Inspired by a similar, longstanding prayer square ministry of St. Gabriel’s Episcopal Church in Leesburg, VA, the Episcopal Prayer Square Initiative began in July 2021.
Individuals and congregations in the Diocese of West Texas are invited to create prayer squares, following the instructions below, and then send them to the diocesan office in San Antonio. Each prayer square will be given to migrants at bus stations throughout the Diocese of West Texas, as part of a Travel Kit that includes shelf-stable food and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). Each square will be a small, tangible way for congregants to accompany our neighbors, providing a warm welcome and continued hope for them as they continue their journey.
Join Immigration Ministries, and Episcopalians throughout our neighboring border dioceses, as we share love, support our siblings-in-Christ, and honor our call as Christians to serve our neighbor.
Questions? Contact Immigration Ministries, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Click here to sign up for a twice-monthly Immigration Ministries Update including announcements like this one, educational events, and other opportunities to take action to support people seeking asylum.
Prayer Square Instructions
- Knit, crochet, or cut fabric into 3.5 by 3.5 inch squares.
- Decorate the prayer square with fabric paint, permanent markers, stickers, yarn, or other art supplies. Consider illustrating a cross, hearts, ichthys (the Christian fish symbol), or other uplifting designs showing love and support without words.
- Write a short note of love and encouragement in English (50 words or less), then translate it into Spanish or Haitian Creole using Google Translate or another translation program.
- Type and print the translated message, or hand write clearly and in print, then fold the paper into a small square.
- Attach the note of encouragement to the prayer square using a safety pin, ribbon, or thread. Consider asking your priest to bless the prayer squares, too.
- Send or hand-deliver completed prayer squares to Immigration Ministries, at the diocesan office (address below).
Church-wide Prayer Square Drive
- Ask your priest to host a church-wide prayer square drive.
- Designate a Sunday to collect prayer squares and bless them during the service. Consider distributing pre-assembled Prayer Square Kits, including all supplies needed, to interested congregants ahead of time.
- Send or hand-deliver all collected prayer squares in a large envelope or box, to Immigration Ministries at the address below.
- Document the names of each person who made prayer squares, and the total number of squares submitted by each person. Ask individuals if they would like to share their contact information (name, email address, phone number, etc.) with Immigration Ministries, and include that list with the squares.
Mail Prayer Squares and list of names to:
Episcopal Diocese of West Texas
Attn: Immigration Ministries
SanAntonio, TX 78209
Prayer Squares and list of names may be hand-delivered to the diocesan office at:
111 Torcido Drive
San Antonio, TX 78209