Advent Resources for Children, Youth, and Adults
The Christian Formation Committee serves congregations in the Episcopal Diocese of West Texas by providing resources to guide churches in forming disciples of all ages. As preparations continue for the Advent Season, the committee has collected the following resources for formation, specifically for the seasons of Advent, Christmas, and Epiphany. These resources were shared initially in the Deputy for Christian Formation's quarterly newsletter for volunteer leaders, church staff members, clergy, and anyone involve in Christian Formation. Click here to sign up for this newsletter or click here to follow Christian Formation on Facebook, for events and seasonal resources. The most recent Christian Formation Newsletter is available for preview online at this link.
Resources for Youth, Children, and Families
Advent Devotionals and Calendars
Several Advent Calendar and Devotional options are listed below. Many are printable documents that could be distributed on Sundays or during an Advent gathering or used as an intergenerational study at your church. A few are online resources that could be shared on social media or in emails to youth and families or the entire congregation.
- Advent Word
- A Sanctified Art Advent Resources
- Episcopal Relief and Development Advent Toolkit
- Illustrated Ministry Advent Resources
- Picture Advent
- Praying in Color Advent Calendars
These take a little explanation, click here for ways to pray in color.
- Salt Project Advent Printables has several devotional and Advent Calendar options, scroll down to the Advent section to see them all.
- The Way of Love Advent Calendar
Advent, Christmas, and Epiphany
Many churches kick off the Advent Season by hosting Advent wreaths making events. If your church is looking for additional intergenerational activities or a different event to try this year check out the ones below:
- All God’s Children: The Church Family Gathers for Advent from GenOn
- Advent Prayer Stations
- Las Posadas
Christmas Pageant Scripts:
Advent 4, Christmas Eve, or Christmas Day can be a great time to host a pageant with your congregation. While many churches primarily feature children in their pageants, make yours intergenerational by inviting adults or youth to participate as readers or play roles alongside children. If your church is looking for a script for this year check out the ones listed below:
- Buildfaith’s outline for an On-the-Spot Pageant
- Christmas Interrupted by Jerusalem Greer
- Godly Play Christmas Eve Children’s Liturgy
- Glenys Nellist’s Twas the Evening of Christmas Pageant (pages 21-24)
- Storymakers Advent Playbook
The season of Epiphany can be a great time for intergenerational congregation events. Here’s a few ideas ranging from a full Epiphany Pageant to a take-home chalking of the door activity.
- Intergenerational Epiphany Pageant
- Ideas for Epiphany celebrations at church from Buildfaith (sparkler parade, photo booth, etc)
- More intergenerational Epiphany ideas (chalking the door, magic star act of kindness game)
- Bonus idea: Baptism Brunch! Have a brunch for your congregation on the Sunday you celebrate Jesus’ baptism. Share the Godly Play Baptism story or read Today is a Baptism Day and recognize all of the people who were baptized at your church over the past year.
Resources for Adults
Use these studies for adult Sunday school or a mid-week Bible study at your church.
- Journeying the Way of Love Advent Curriculum
- Online Advent Study with The Wisdom Years Ministry: Email Marjorie George for specific information on this study, at email@example.com.
- Forward Movement Advent and Christmas Studies
- The Work of the People Advent videos
Check out these recommended Advent Devotionals for adults.
Study Resources from the Rev. Nancy Springer
Looking for a new adult study? The Rev. Nancy Springer, Associate Rector of St. Francis, Canyon Lake and Christian Formation Committee member, has customized study plans using The Bible Project, the Good and Beautiful book series, and the What If Jesus Were Serious book series. Each plan includes an outline and instructions for use, beginning in Advent and continuing through Epiphany or even Lent. The Bible Project study is suitable for any season and includes a full year of lessons. Click here to contact Mother Nancy for more information.
Episcopal Church Resources
Advent and Christmas resources recommended and published by The Episcopal Church can be found online as well, at episcophalchurch.org.
Questions regarding Christian Formation may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photo from Christ Episcopal Church in San Antonio's 2021 Christmas Pageant.